My name is Nate Philbrick, and I’m a fantasy fiction author and general fiction enthusiast!
You Write Fiction is my way of connecting with you and many other writers and readers. We’ll have fun, learn a thing or two, and enjoy the world of fiction.
I was born in Maine, but I currently live near Barcelona (Spain, for those who’ve never checked a map). In 2015 I graduated from Northland International University (Middle of Nowhere, Wisconsin) with a B.A. degree in English, but most of what I know about writing is the result of years of trial-and-error. And reading. Lots of reading.
I believe in Jesus Christ and I am saved only by his mercy and grace. It’s my job to show that same unconditional love to everyone around me (though I’ll spend a good chunk of my time messing that bit up).
What my writing looks like…
Most of the time, my writing veers towards the light-hearted, snarky side of the spectrum. I don’t like to take myself too seriously, especially since fantasy writers in general have the tendency to sound super somber. Every now and then, however, a chapter or two will take a dark turn, because I value all emotions, negative as well as positive. I believe sad, angry, or hurt moments in fiction have as much power as their happier counterparts (those of you who have read Little One have already seen the gnarly side of my writing).
Some of the things I love
- The Legend of Zelda
- Fantasy novels (books in general, but…I love fantasy)
- Pokemon (Go Team Mystic!)
- Music (most genres depending on the song except jazz and country. I can’t stand country music. Sorry.)
- The color black
- Mexican food
- Being outside
- Forests. I love forests. I truly enjoy forests. And rivers. Etc.
- Marvel movies
- Playing the ocarina and the drums
Some of the things I don’t like so much
- Dogs (sorry, dog lovers!)
- Hot weather
- Crowds and loud places
- DC movies
- Team Valor
- Getting white clothes dirty (that’s the worst)
- Books with too many characters to keep track of
- Loud noises. Repetitive noises. Gross noises.
Some things I’m scared of
- Big t-word spiders (arachnophobia)
- Deep water and what might be in it (thalassophobia)
And to a lesser degree…
- Falling off things
- Dogs with egos
- Objects with hard or sharp corners
Hopefully that gives you a better glimpse at who I am and what I’m about. The only true way to get to know someone, however, is to
subscribe and follow their blog spend time with them.